My first semester at St. Tikhon's

It is still a mystery to me why time passes by quickly when I want it to go slow and vice-versa. I still remember as if it happened yesterday, moving into my dorm room, setting up my bed and looking for book shelves but before opening my last box of Caprisun® which I bought in the beginning of the semester, its time to pack everything and head back home. Being in a monastery (St. Basil's Monastery, Kottayam) for eight months and joining Tikhon's was a very smooth transition. I basically found myself doing the same things (more or less) i did while i was in the monastery in Kerala. The day starts off with Morning Prayer (along with 3rd hour prayers from The Book of Common Prayer of the Syrian Church - Shimo) at St. John Chrysostom Indian Orthodox Chapel followed by breakfast (8:00-8:30) at the Refectory- a good time to mingle with co-students before classes. Dennis of course shows up with his large cup of coffee, and cracks a few jokes or three.

Then at noon we are again back at the chapel (or sometimes at the seminary chapel) for noon and 9th hour prayers followed by lunch. Classes commence at 8:30 and ends at 4:20. At 4:45 back at the chapel we do evening prayers (we do Malayalam Sleeba Namaskaram on Wednesday's) followed by meditation, chanting Kyrielaison and the Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy upon me a Sinner!) which lasts till 5:30 which will be followed by dinner back at the refectory. After that we are free to go back to the dorm and do work, go to the gym, be at the dorm lounge for some entertainment (we are addicted to 'the office' on nbc which comes on Thursday nights...that's an awesome show everyone should watch it!...of course extra buttered popcorn will be good with that too). The best part about all this is that after all the work and classes, we do get some time on our hands (except during finals week) so we have time to do own reading, extra prayer time, to do laundry or just preparing something to say for our parish visits (something we all look forward to every week). During the day or night we are allowed to go to the monastery church (the highlight of the whole seminary) if students wish to pray or just simply sit in silence. Being in New York for most of my childhood and being used to the daily stress New York has to offer, I find South Canaan to be very peaceful.

It was very sad leaving everyone for the break and I honestly can’t wait till I get back. The Holy grounds of St. Tikhon's is known for its unique spiritual environment and one must come and visit to experience it. Let me quote one of our bishops (His Eminence Geevarghese Mar Ivanios) who stayed at St. Tikhon's for a week...he said "I am glad that I stayed here for a week and I must say that the students here are truly blessed to have their seminary education in such a spiritually enriching place" We are also blessed to have three of our Metroplitans visit us (Barnabas Thirumeni, Nicholovos Thirumeni and Ivanios Thirumeni) and have Nicholovos Thirumeni celebrate Holy Qurbana on the Feast of St. Gregorios.

Last but not least, I cannot stress how thankful and blessed we are to have Santhosh Achen at the Seminary to teach us Malayalam, Liturgical Chant/Order and Malankara Sabha history. He is an awesome teacher, a great disciplinarian and a good role model for us seminarians. St. Tikhon's is more than just a religious community, it is a family. I truly look forward to the spring semester. I request all to keep us in your prayers at all times. Merry Christmas and May God Bless us all!

-with prayers
Abey George

Comments

George Varghese said…
Thanks you for sharing your experience. May God bless and keep us all as we celebrate his nativity
Unknown said…
Awesome dude! Congratulations to all of you 1st Years especially!

There is really nothing like that feeling of having survived your first semester of seminary.

Have a good break!
'zel b'shlomo
-Mat

Popular Posts